Sulphur Springs Baptist Church was organized in early September 1901 with nine members. The church was organized in a home directly behind the present church building. Preaching services were held in the Rose School house for a few weeks before the school-house burned. Preaching services during the first winter after the school-house burned were held in the homes of P. L. Hitt and John Gillespie. In the spring of 1902 a brush arbor was constructed for preaching services. The present church building is the third to house Sulphur Springs Baptist Church and was constructed in 1969 with much work being done by the membership. The present sanctuary was renovated in 2000. The education space, fellowship hall and kitchen were renovated in 2007.
The first Vacation Bible School at Sulphur Springs was held in the summer of 1948 and there has one each summer since that time. The Rev. Clyde Dotson, missionary to Northern Rhodesia, Africa, was pastor of Sulphur Springs during part of 1927 and 1928. Rev. Tom Whitt was called as the first full-time pastor November 24, 1954 and served until his death April 14, 1957. Numerous men from this church have been licensed and ordained into the gospel ministry.
You must be logged in to post a comment.